Sunday, January 11, 2009

Day 28 - Four Weeks Today

Despite it being a grim four week anniversary of the accident, things should be looking up. We are one third of the way through.

Yesterday was good in that Jan had her night guard modified by Charlotte and my mother fixed supper for us while we were in town.

Charlotte was absolutely great about staying late and working us all in. I thank her greatly for taking the extra time to get Jan squared away with her guard and being careful with the halo. She even found a couple of small bean bag hot/cold packs we could fit in Jan's collar area to relieve her tight neck muscles.

Mom made a great pot roast and fixings, including a peach cobbler! I think everyone left pretty stuffed. She also fixed the hem on some of Jan's new slip-on pants that were too long. When in a halo, slip-on clothing is a must.

We are still finding it tough to get in all four of the antibiotic pills. She wants to take a Nexium in the morning but if she has to wait to wake up, it is late in the day before the first dose of antibiotic. If I wake her to get the Nexium down so she'll take the antibiotic in half an hour, I'm the bad guy for waking her.

On the way home yesterday, we drove by the Kentucky Building and Jan showed Tessa where her and her grandfather need to go for the luncheon on the 23rd. That is CT scan day at Bilkmore. With any luck it will show some healing and give us an indication of what to expect.

If I sit quietly for too long I am still reliving the crash in minute detail, desperately thinking about what I might have done differently. It all seemed to go in slow motion as I heard the faintest of pops when the tempered glass blew out of the door, the crinkle of the windshield and then the rear window as it disappeared into a million pieces. People say these things happen so fast but the detail and clarity with which I remember it is all too real. As an intelligent person, I know I should let it go. Easier said than done, especially after only four weeks.

2 comments:

  1. My sister says the same thing about the accident she was in about a year or two ago. Someone ran a redlight and rammed into the car she was driving at over 70 miles an hour...right in front of her highschool...at lunchtime.

    Like you, she was driving, and also like you, she had passengers. Fortunately other than a case of whiplash none of them or any of the many, many pediatrians, were hurt. That, in and of itself, was a miracle because both cars were totaled. Bits of Corolla and Mercedes went flying in all directions. If it hadn't been for one of those tank like SUV's the Mercedes would have gone up onto the sidewalk and hit the kids who were walking back from nearby deli.

    And what did the idiot who nearly killed my sister have to say for herself? We never heard from her. Not so much as an apology or an inquiry to find out if my sister was OK. She didn't even show up at court. Even at the scene of her crime all she ever said was (loudly), "I'm late for lunch!".

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anyway, getting back on topic: My sister says that she can still remember ever second of that accident. Ever spin (three) her Corolla made, the feeling of it being on the verge of flipping, the feeling of the lunch she'd just bought flying into her face. She remembers everything.

    On a slightly more comical note, when I found out about the accident, my first question was, "My car?".

    ReplyDelete