Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Day 30 - Counseling and Second Opinion

Day 30, 54 to go!

Yesterday we went to see someone for counseling. I think we both have a lot of trauma related issues, me so more than Jan. We went to Sam's before my chiro appointment to get out and pick up a few things. It tires her out but she needs the exercise and to build some stamina. Another person came up to her in Sam's and said she went through a halo treatment, knew what she was going through and it gets better. The poor woman looked like she was near tears as if it brought back bad memories. It kind of tore Jan up, too!

The counselor said we are experiencing all the normal thoughts and emotional symptoms after such an experience. He recommended we see someone else that deals more with this sort of thing since he was more of a marriage counselor. We may need marriage counseling eventually but not at the moment. One of the people he recommended is a WKU person so Jan is going to contact them.

We've gotten all of our records and images together for the doctor to examine her and give a second opinion. I'm hopeful but not overly so. Realistic expectations need to be the norm.

A friend from Jan's church brought over the evening meal on Monday. It was wonderful barbeque meatballs, fixings and even an apple pie with ice cream. It is so comforting to know that everyone is praying and thinking about Jan when she really needs it. The next door neighbor is bringing supper on Wednesday. Who knows, I might actually gain back the 15lbs I lost in the first three weeks! I haven't weighed under 155 since my first year of college in 1980! All my belts are in the last hole and still loose!

I think after a full month we are starting to settle into a routine. I expect to not update but every couple of days from now on. I'll make exceptions for news that is out of the ordinary, such as the second opinion later today. You can still email Jan directly. She usually does an hour or so a day in front of the computer. It breaks up the day and gives her a reason to get off the couch.

Now, if we could just get that antibiotic finished and keep the pins clean, we'll have smooth sailing for the next seven weeks, five days.

No comments:

Post a Comment