Thursday, January 8, 2009

Day 25 - The Emotional Rollercoaster Continues

Our daughter has an awards luncheon for being one of the top students in the county on Jan 23, 2009. WKU is putting it on and rumor has it this is a prelude to some sort of scholarship. It will be held at the Kentucky Building on WKU's campus.

As it is, I was supposed to attend with her since Jan doesn't want to go but the only appointment we can get with the Bilkmore Neuro Clinic and the prerequisite CT scan is, wait for it, Jan 23, 2009. Since the CT scan is at 10:00 AM and the meeting with the NP is at 12:30 PM, there's no way either of us can make it. We've tried to get it rescheduled and the best they could do was scans one day and see the NP another day. LOVELY! Travel is the absolute worst for Jan due to her head and body being locked together. Every bump and crevice on I-65 transfers to her head and it makes her nauseous and gives her a headache.

My dad, her grandfather, has graciously agreed to join her in my place. Tessa says she's OK with it but it breaks Jan's heart that neither of us will be with her for what should be a happy moment. I hope she understands that her mother's health and well being is a top priority and that we love her despite our inability to attend.

All of the above contributed to today being a bad day. The most minor of bright spots was the check for the totaled car. I'd give twice that if it would make her whole again any sooner. Interestingly enough, I deposited it and they put an 11 day hold on the funds. I told them I didn't care, just put the check in the bank and let me finish getting groceries! Everything pisses me off!

I think I have found a doctor that will see her for a second opinion! He has an office in Bowling Green but to see him faster, as in this coming Tuesday, we are going to his Hermitage office. The hope is that if he'll take her, we can see him in Bowling Green. At any rate, a second opinion is what I really need for peace of mind. All I have to do is fill out the new patient forms they directed me to on the web. Cross your fingers!

Jan has called the NP twice. Once on Tuesday and again today. They just won't call us back. They have abandoned us! We were reading her medical records of the ER visit and discovered she also has a T2 and T3 endplate fracture. Why didn't anyone tell us this? Is this not the most ridiculous thing you've ever heard?

The scoop on the new pain med is mixed. She took it at 10:00 PM and woke up at 4:30 AM. It may take some adjusting. She is going to try 10:00 PM again tonight and see if it results in a pattern.

Getting four antibiotics down in the day is tougher than we imagined. She hates to take them on an empty stomach so she is still going to have to take one at bedtime, empty stomach or not.

I don't know if I mentioned it before but her front (anterior in medical BS) pins have always looked like the skin on her forehead had a bit of a bunch above the pin and the skin was pulled tight below the pin. It has now self corrected by effectively ripping her forehead to relieve the bunch/tight skin. The NP accused her of holding her eyebrows up when they put the pins in and I know she did not. Dr Second-Year-Resident inflated her forehead with about 10cc of xylocaine in each pin site that swelled the skin. Once the swelling went down from the local, the skin was pulled and bunched.

I have a request from the patient. Would people please stop saying the time will pass quickly. She's desperately tired of hearing that and it does not help her spirits. It only reminds her that she isn't even to the half way point. More than once she has wished they'd put her in a coma and wake her when she's healed.

I'm a realist and not much for blatant, unrealistic optimism. My statements about the situation are deemed to be negative at times. For instance, some loony doctor in the ER told her after the halo went on that she might only have to wear it for six weeks. He must have been using the extra morphine they said they gave her because NOBODY gets out of a halo in six weeks and I told her so. Unrealistic expectations are the root of depression and I'm afraid of that now.

Yes, we are thankful she is alive, that I'm alive. We are overjoyed that she is not paralyzed and ecstatic because she should make a full recovery but that is no reason for her to have been treated the way she has. She shouldn't have to pay for living by being made miserable at the hands of uncaring doctors. It certainly doesn't instill trust in the providers.

We are seeing someone on Monday to help us work out the grief and pent up feelings left by this traumatic experience and I'm not talking just about the accident. I know I have so much anger toward the medical profession that it affects my objectivity but my gut says keep fighting because I can't depend on the professionals.

My sister and aunt, both nurses, said that the NP telling me, "Why don't you treat your wife if you can do it better!" was completely unprofessional. Trust me, I am documenting these things for future reference!

1 comment:

  1. If you daughter is half as compassionate as you are, I'm sure that she absolutely understands why you can't attend.

    ReplyDelete