Monday, January 5, 2009

Day 22, Part 2 - The Rest of the Story

It has been a long day and I know I've taken a while to get this up. My apologies! For those of you that noticed a lull in Jan's email replies from yesterday, there was a computer death in the family. Her computer kept shutting down for no reason with increasing frequency. A faster and much quieter computer replaced it this morning.

And now, the rest of the story. I'd like to state, this is my view of events. Jan sometimes disagrees with my exact phrasing but not enough to make her own blog.

After moderately medicating Jan we set off for Bilkmore around 1:00 PM for our 2:30 PM appointment. It takes just over an hour, depending on the city traffic once you hit Nashville. Today wasn't bad and we found the Neurosurgery Clinic with little trouble. The handicapped mirror placard is a real time saver since Jan's gate is a bit slower than before the accident (BA).

The first thing we did was to register and then take the shuttle over to the main hospital to get some x-rays. I also dropped by and picked up her records and images to date. The main x-ray lab was quite busy so we were sent "just down the hall" to the other radiology lab. Poor Jan was worn out after the half mile round trip walk. I watched as the x-rays popped up on the console and could see what I felt was the problem. Her back vest plate is shifted to one side. The x-ray tech was non-committal, "I just shoot them."

We then returned to the Neurosurgery Clinic around 3:15-ish. We had about a 30 minute or so wait for the NP to show up. When she arrived she started to explain things but stopped and went after the spine model. I pointed to the spine and said, "Jan's fracture is here." She looked and me a bit funny and agreed, "Yes."

She went on and explained how the nerves radiate out from the vertebrae and what is controlled by each level. She touched one and started counting and I impulsively said, "C4" to which she finished counting and asked if I'd studied the spine. To which I replied, "I've had three weeks of nothing from the medical experts treating my wife so I did my own research." She kind of raised her eyebrows and went on.

We started addressing our concerns: Jan's lack of sleep, increasing pain and the poor fit of the vest being the main ones. The NP agreed to let Jan try a timed release pain medication to see if that will allow her to get a full, uninterrupted night's rest. She said the pain is just something to manage. I'm not thrilled with that but if we can get Jan some rest, whatever it takes.

The poor fit of the vest was a bit contentious. I was adamant that it could be made more comfortable or it was the wrong size based on my reading of the manufacturer's web site. The NP did loosen the waist straps another notch, which puts them at three. That tells me she is at the outer edge of a medium if it only has three notches to go. She finally had them page someone from the halo-vest provider to come in and check out the situation. She believes he is the "expert" in halos. He arrived about 30 minutes later and said that if anything Jan's was too loose!

I again produced the manufacturer's web page of the sizes and pointed to Jan's measurements and the vest sizes. It was at this point the NP wasn't as thrilled with my self education as previously indicated. At one point she told me I should treat my wife myself if I knew more than she did. Let's just say I got under her skin and we now have an understanding. The NP now knows I'm not a push over and I am not stupid.

Once everyone cooled off (and I didn't go to jail) she said we were doing an excellent job of keeping the pin sites clean. Metal is piercing skin and that is always problematic. She and the "halo expert" asked about the t-shirt Jan was wearing. I explained how we slit them down the back and she steps into them like a dress. The slit is hidden by the back of the vest. They thought that was pretty ingenious.

All things said and done, more was said than done. She did spend about an hour and a half with us and showed us many x-rays. She tightened the four pins in Jan's skull and loosened the waist straps by one notch. If you read the documentation for this halo stuff, you'd think it was possible to kill the patient by simply touching the upright bars or changing the straps. Let me tell you, the NP held onto the bars for leverage while she cranked down the pins in Jan's skull. Yet another case of medical Do-as-I-say-not-as-I-do. The NP even said that if she, herself, were injured, she'd want surgery over the halo! Why weren't we given that choice? Her excuse, Dr Second-Year-Resident thought it best without consulting us first.

The good news is we go back in two weeks (never thought I say that!) and she is going to order a CT scan to confirm what a single plane x-ray cannot, alignment and actual bone placement. I still do not like the rotated head but the NP says that it will 100% not result in any permanent damage. She better be right.

On the plus side, if all the calcium, vitamin D and protein we've been pumping into Jan has done any good, at six weeks the CT scan might show something. If we can short cut the 12 weeks by even one week safely, it would be worth it. The NP did say she'll need a collar for six weeks and then physical therapy after that. Her proposed release date is now set at May 6, 2009!

At this very moment, Jan is resting after having taken the timed release pain pill at 8:30 PM and turning off the TV at 10:00 PM. I've got my fingers crossed. I, myself, am going to try a dramamine tonight to see if I can sleep beyond three hours. So far a shot of Wild Turkey just made me sweat, wine had almost no effect and benadryl just made my mouth dry out.

No comments:

Post a Comment