Monday, February 2, 2009

Day 50 - The Unforgiven

I hope this Groundhog Day is not like the movie, reliving the same day over and over!

Jan's appetite returned last night after she stopped the antibiotic. She was on the eighth day of 10. One doctor, relayed through a nurse that called, said to stop the antibiotic, don't take Immodium and they'd call in another antibiotic course. Jan wasn't really happy with that since she'd already taken an Immodium on Saturday night and had already taken the Sunday morning antibiotic. The nurse could not elaborate on the reason to not take Immodium and only repeated it. I see a pattern here with nurses.

For confirmation, she called the pharmacy again. They had the same old story about stopping an antibiotic before the full course would allow the infection to come back, possibly stronger, blah, blah, blah! Well, if it is causing side effects worse than the original illness, it is time to regroup!

Thankfully, a second doctor, one she prefers to deal with, called back and said to stop the antibiotic and get the side effects cleared up before she starts anything else. In her current condition, anything too stressful on the body is harder to deal with.

She has agreed to try more yogurt in her diet, which she hates. Twice a day is what she said since it will help replenish the good flora in her digestive tract. We've already tried the drinkable yogurt. That wasn't very palatable either. She's been taking a probiotic since the first round of antibiotics a few weeks ago but the latest antibiotic was so strong it didn't seem to help.

Never again will I look at the medical profession as if they are miracle workers. That day has come and gone. Never again will I trust the word of a doctor or nurse as gospel. Their interests are not always my best interests. Never again!

Switching gears now. My sister, the nurse, says that if we go to therapy, the first thing the therapist is going to ask me to do is to forgive the people that I hold responsible. I'm not ready to do that just yet. Filing complaints makes me feel better than any therapy could. I need to stay agitated for a while longer. It helps me have the will to deal with these people. When I'm not, I'm ambivalent and I let things slide, sometimes until it is too late to do anything productive.

After 50 days without any counseling, I don't think it will make any difference anyway. We needed it on Day 1. In my opinion, that window has closed.

No comments:

Post a Comment