Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Day 136 - Dry As A Bone

Jan has had two more physical therapy sessions since last time. TENS with heat then exercises and ice. The PT guy says her posture looks better. The changes are subtle and I don't notice the changes. Kind of like you don't notice your hair growing.

We are looking for a profile picture to see how her posture is now compared to before the accident to get some measure of what we are working with. Here's a picture from 2006 that was taken for our 20-year vow renewals. Not sure it shows a lot but it is the only one I can find.

She hasn't driven any more since the one short trip to Sam's but I keep prodding her to see if she wants to try a short trip here or there.

After Jan's most recent trip to physical therapy, we arrived home. Clothes were in the dryer so I went to start it. It sounded funny, all to quiet. Upon closer examination, the belt broke and the drum doesn't turn.

As I type this, the dryer is in a state of severe disassembly, scattered all over the utility room, awaiting the procurement of a new belt. The bright side of this affair is the new level of cleanliness. After 15 years of lint build-up, it is now as clean as new.

I suspect it will work better with a new belt as the old one had been shedding material for quite some time. I had no idea what the black powder under it was when we moved almost three years ago until now. Once inside of it, I could tell the belt had frayed, leaving a fine black residue all over the inside of the dryer.

2 comments:

  1. That`s a nice picture of the both of you. It sounds like life is getting back to normal for you, dryer problems and all. I returned to work last week, but was astounded at my lack of energy. Saw my family doctor on Wednesday, and she prescribed a more progresive return to work. Three days a week for a month, and then four days a week for another month. I really thought I would be able to return full-time, but like I said, was surprised at my lack of energy. My doctor seemed to feel it was unreasonable to expect to return to full time employment after months of immobilization. Apart from the fatigue, I really have very little pain, and am otherwise doing quite well. I am driving myself to work, despite my not-so-good shoulder check, and for the time-being am not needing physiotherapy. We`ll see if things change in the coming weeks. It's amazing how quickly I seem to be forgetting about the ordeal now that I am feeling normal again. How is your wife coping with work?

    ReplyDelete
  2. She's been, more or less, full time for three weeks now. She is still not driving. Like you, still not as much cervical mobility as before the accident.

    PT is helping because he knows the muscles to work and the way to work them. She really likes the TENS sessions and I've been looking for one online for her.

    She still has a fair amount of pain and very low fatigue level. Time will tell.

    We did get a Wii Fit to help her as well.

    ReplyDelete