Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Day 86 - Appointment Cancellation? NO!

Yesterday was the first day I returned to work. Jan spent most of the morning working on homework while I went to the office. We IM'd and I picked up lunch at Zaxby's. She's walking just over a mile each day.

She is showering daily even though it is strange for her after three months without one. Her pin sites are cleaned three times a day and are healing well but the depressions are still quite deep and pink.

My work changed the FMLA date on my form to yesterday and informed me YESTERDAY! To get me through the expected recovery period, I faxed another form to the neurosurgery clinic to get it filled out since she still can't drive or turn her head.

I emailed the clinic to follow up on the fax since they have been horrible about getting anything completed. You can measure their response time with a calendar. Within an hour of the email, I received a call to cancel Jan's April 2nd appointment! No reason, only that the doctor's office would call to set up an appointment instead. I can't say I'm sorry we won't be seeing her again. After all, she'd still have had Jan in the halo for nearly another week.

Next, I faxed the form to be filled out to the doctor's office since the nurse canceled her. I faxed it in around lunch and I got it back by 3:30 PM! Amazing! Unfortunately, we did not get the replacement appointment call. I'll call at noon tomorrow if they haven't made a new appointment by then.

For show and tell we have the halo and vest assembled off the patient. It can be assembled symmetrically but it never was.

The back and front of the vest should have been positioned at the same level on the body. Instead, the back was at least a few inches above the front and it rubbed the area at the back base of Jan's rib cage nearly raw. I suspect she was only a few days away from a pressure sore.

2 comments:

  1. Hi, found your blog after I started one of my own. Glad you your halo is off!! I just started my time in a halo, made it home and now I am blogging about being in a halo. I set up a blog: http://mytimespentwithahalo.blogspot.com

    Would love to talk and share stories, I am finding this thing difficult at times. I have so many questions? Have you met anyone else who was or is in a halo?

    Thanks - Sue!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I or my wife will gladly help you in any way we can. I know this is a trying time for you.

    ReplyDelete